Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Elk Painting

After some time of prep work for my new elk painting, I have finally begun to make some progress over the last week! Although I don't usually do the background first, this time I felt compelled to because of the magnificient antlers interrupting my sky space, which would have made the brushwork difficult in the reverse ;-) Thanks to my practise with clouds in 'Ingonyama' and mountains in 'Sierra Encounter' I have moved quite speedily so far...

Once the mountains are completed I will carry on working my way down the painting, covering hills with trees, closer trees and bushes and lastly the grass covered meadow. It seems to be a great build up towards the elk himself, which is making me quite excited to reach that point... of course the main subject is always my favourite - he will bring the painting to life!

While we wait for the climax, here are some background progress shots...


No comments:

Post a Comment